Rainier Beach Community Engagement Intern
Join a dynamic team of South Seattle community activists who are working on meaningful projects that will impact the Rainier Beach community for years to come. The Detective Cookie Chess Park is the main project you will be focusing on. The Chess Park will serve as a tribute to Detective Cookie, a prominent Seattle policewoman who has been teaching chess to youth for a decade. The park will activate underutilized, open-air space for her chess club to meet, as well as providing a safe, free, public space for youth and adults from across cultures to meet and play chess at any time. The project has gone through the initial design phases and is in the permitting stage currently. Fundraising and community engagement will continue throughout the life of this project.
Day to day tasks would include:
- Community event planning & outreach
- Connecting with key stakeholders to draft MOU’s
- Fundraising research (researching potential donors, making contact)
- Grant writing help
- Publicity, creating flyers and distributing
- Attending all steering committee meetings & events
- Strategizing and planning with the committee
- You will have the option of either working at the Rainier Beach Action Coalition office (across from the RB Lightrail) or working from home. Either option will allow you to collaborate with the various committees and leads, and may require you to visit various South end locations. The location is at the RBAC house, which has shared office space, with access to desktop computers, internet and table space. Programatic and neighborhood stakeholders often use this space for standing and quarterly meetings.
By assisting with the Chess Park you will be providing an important project management role and will become familiar with the complexity of community based projects. Specifically, you will play an active role in moving the Chess Park towards construction. Service-learners have the potential to make long-lasting connections with influential leaders in the Rainier Beach community.
Rainier Beach Action Coalition 9013 MLK Jr. Way S
Seattle, Washington 98118 (possible to work remotely as well)
Location is across the street from the Rainier Beach Lightrail station.
- Proficiency with Word, and generally good writing skills
- Proficiency with Excel
- Commitment to community building
- Willingness to learn about fundraising
- Ability to call potential donors on the phone
- Creativity when it comes to outreach
Commitment of 5-10 hrs/week. The time and days of the week are flexible but a consistent, reliable schedule will be preferred. There will be occasional weekend events that will require your presence, for 1-4 hrs.