Want to study abroad in China, explore cultural perspectives of leadership and connect with incoming international students? Consider the Husky Presidential Ambassador Leadership Institute Exploration Seminar!
Visit the Study Abroad website to learn more. Application deadline is February 15.
The Husky Presidential Ambassadors (HPA) Leadership Institute is a unique opportunity for a cohort of current UW students and a cohort of incoming first year Chinese international students to participate together in a cross-cultural leadership development immersion experience. Globalization has created a need for leaders with greater understanding of cultural differences and increased competencies in cross-cultural communication and practice. Leadership Institute participants will gain valuable skills in intercultural communication, explore cultural perspectives of leadership and study leadership practices in a global setting. The HPA Leadership Institute creates an innovative education model that will facilitate the cultivation of young global leaders who think beyond boundaries.
Students selected as Husky Presidential Ambassadors will spend one week in academic preparation in Seattle before traveling to China for two weeks. UW students will spend the first week in Beijing visiting historical sites and being exposed to Chinese cultural surroundings. The cohort of incoming first year Chinese international students will join the current UW student cohort during the second week to participate in an experiential leadership development curriculum. Participants will connect leadership theory to practice by meeting with local and national government officials, business leaders and community change agents while also engaging in skill-building and self-reflective opportunities that will accelerate their personal leadership development.
This program is designed for UW students across all majors who are interested in exploring the concept of leadership in a global context and building stronger bridges between domestic and international student communities at the UW.
Check out last year’s program blog.
· Students will stay in residence halls at Tsinghua University, an important international partner of the University of Washington.
· Students will receive 6 GEN ST credits.
· This program is designed for current UW undergraduate students from any major and incoming first year international students from China who are interested in accelerating their leadership development in this cross-cultural exchange. We will also be looking for students who are interested in sharing their Husky experience and supporting the transition of incoming first year students from China.
· Proficiency in the Chinese language is not required.
Cost, Financial Aid and Scholarships
· The program fee cost to participate is $2,100 (not including airfare) + $350 study abroad fee.
· Most forms of financial aid can be applied to study abroad. You can verify that your financial aid award will apply to your program costs by contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid.
· A number of $2,500 scholarships will be available to Pell Grant and Husky Promise eligible students accepted to this program.
Learn more and apply!
· Visit the Study Abroad website to learn more about the program and get full details on credits and fees.
· Application deadline is February 15.
The Husky Presidential Ambassadors Leadership Institute is sponsored by the Office of Global Affairs in collaboration with the Husky Leadership Initiative and First Year Programs.