Closes: Open until filled with applications reviewed beginning May 3, 2017
Status: Two positions; 12 months part-time (12-16 hours/week) or full-time during summer; non-exempt FLSA status
Salary: $17 per hour with no benefits
Timeline: Positions to begin June 2017
Location: Puget Sound Regional Council, Downtown Seattle, Washington
The Puget Sound Regional Council is the regional transportation, growth management and economic development planning agency serving the central Puget Sound region. The thriving region is home to 4 million people and is one of the nation’s fastest growing metropolitan areas. PSRC brings together the region’s counties, cities and towns, native tribes, ports, the state of Washington and civic interests to understand the challenges facing the region’s future and make plans for the region to continue to succeed. It is the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization and also plays the leading regional role in growth management and economic development under state and federal laws. Visit www.psrc.org to find out more. PSRC is an equal opportunity employer.
The Intern positions will support PSRC’s Data division with a range of data, analysis, modeling and planning projects that may include general data development and maintenance, geocoding, support for PSRC’s land use and travel models development program, web mapping, research and testing of visualization tools, support for PSRC’s VISION 2040 Performance Trends program, and other duties as assigned. Candidates should have a firm understanding of data analysis techniques, spreadsheets, relational databases, and GIS. Tasks include data processing and quality control, database assembly, data analysis, and preparation of data products, graphics, and written communications.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of common statistical concepts and data analysis techniques.
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and performing quality control measures on datasets. Facility handling and managing multiple, large electronic data files. Sharp attention to detail. Familiarity with commonly used demographic, land use, and other planning datasets is a plus.
- Excellent technical, analytical, organizational, and oral and written communication skills. Interest in clear and innovative data visualization is a plus.
- Ability to organize and coordinate between multiple and diverse work tasks and projects. Ability to communicate and work effectively with a project team, as well as complete tasks independently in a timely manner with limited supervision.
- Familiarity with the local and regional planning context in the central Puget Sound region is welcomed but not required.
- Knowledge of SQL, Python, or R programming languages, visualization software packages (e.g. Tableau, Google Charts), or land use and travel modeling is welcomed but not required.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program in urban planning, geography, or related field;
- Or, at least one year of planning and GIS experience;
- Or, any combination of education and experience that would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job.
- To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and completed, signed PSRC application.
- The voluntary, confidential Equal Employment Opportunity, Applicant’s Invitation to Self-Identify – Veteran Status, and Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms are appreciated for applicant tracking purposes.
- For application materials, visit http://www.psrc.org/about/careers.
- Completed materials can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 206-587-4825, or mailed to: Puget Sound Regional Council, Attn: HR 1011 Western Avenue, Suite 500 Seattle, Washington 98104.