About the Program
The Latinos and Planning Division (LAP) of the American Planning Association (APA) strives to address planning issues affecting Latino communities in the U.S. as well increase Latinos in the profession. The purpose of the LAP scholarship program is to foster increased interest in the study of urban planning within the Latino student population at the advanced undergraduate and graduate levels.
The program is open to third and fourth year undergraduate students and first and second year masters degree students. One scholarship of $500 will be awarded to be used for fees, books, or academic materials.
Eligible applicants shall be Latino students who intend to work as a practicing professional planner in the non-profit, public or private sector and are:
- Must be currently enrolled in either of the following:
- Third or fourth year undergraduate students in a planning program accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board (PAB).
- First or second year graduate students in a planning program accredited by the PAB
- Must be a student member of the Latinos and Planning Division at the time of the application submission deadline.
Applicants for the LAP scholarship shall submit all of the following:
- 1 to 2-page personal and background statement written by the student, describing their interest in a career in planning and describing what impact the students wants to make in the planning field related to Latino communities or the profession;
- One letter of recommendation from a professor, a community leader, or current or past employer in support of the student’s application and personal background statement.
- Official transcript of current course of study (for current students) or a copy of an acceptance letter from a PAB-accredited graduate planning school (for incoming students); and
- Resume of work experience and background.
An email verification of application receipt will be sent to the participant by the LAP Scholarship coordinator.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: https://www.planning.org/divisions/latinos/scholarships/