The Gilman Scholarship is now open and accepting applications. The Gilman Scholarship awards up to $5,000 for undergraduate study abroad or internship abroad. To be eligible students must:
- be a US citizen
- be receiving a federal Pell grant as part of their financial aid award
- be applying to a program of at least 21 consecutive days in length in a single country
- Must receive college credit for their study abroad
Students planning a study abroad on winter/spring 2019 programs OR students who want to apply for early consideration for summer 2019 programs must apply by October 2, by 9:59pm PST. Students can still apply for early consideration for summer, even if the program application through UW study abroad for that term may not be open yet. Students who want to explore this option are strongly encouraged to make an advising appointment with me before applying. Appointments can be made online by visiting: https://uwstudyabroad.setmore.com/resourcebookingpage/reb281504803089591
Students studying a critical-need language are eligible for an additional $3,000 language grant.
A couple of helpful tips:
- The Gilman scholarship is not on the quarter system so students participating in winter 2019 programs should reference the Spring application timeline
- Official transcripts are required and must be scanned and uploaded into the student’s application. Transcripts can be unofficial for previous colleges attended. (This includes running start coursework). Applicants should not send official transcripts directly to the Gilman.
- If a student cannot obtain an official transcript by the application deadline, students can upload an unofficial copy of their transcript, but if chosen, must submit an official transcript to the Gilman before money will be disbursed
- I will host a Gilman Scholarship writing lab for students who need last-minute help on their applications on Monday October 1st from 4pm-5:30pm in 171 MGH. Students are encouraged to bring their laptops to this session
- Students who are U.S. military veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans will be given preference during selection in cases where all other factors are equal. If selected for the Gilman Scholarship, students will need to provide proof of veteran status. Students with questions about the Gilman Scholarship are encouraged to get in touch with me by emailing email@example.com.
Spring applicants will be notified of their status in November 2018, and summer applicants will be notified of their status in late February 2019. Summer applicants who are not awarded can reapply in March.